Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
TECHNICAL ISSUES
> Tech Tips and Tricks > High Idle at Startup
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
propinquity
Neutral

3000 RPM Idle at Startup (And It Will Only Decrease to 2500)

Hi,

This morning, when I started my 02 Escape, the RPM jumped to 3000 (exactly) and stayed there for maybe twenty seconds. It then decreased to 2500 RPM (exactly) and stayed there for minutes. I tried starting it again and again and encountered the same problem: it remains at 2500 and won't come down. So I shut the car off and did several things.

One, I cleaned the TB. That didn't make a difference. Two, I read an old forum post left by Big Jim, who suggested disconnecting the battery for half an hour and thereby resetting the PCM. I tried this, as it seemed to make sense, but it didn't work.

I've done lots of repairs on the Escape myself in the past, including replacing the IACV. At first, I thought that's what the problem might be. Or something related. But what bugs me is the consistency of the problem: on startup, the car shoots to exactly 3000 RPM, then after a few seconds settles to 2500 RPM and stays there.

There are only two things I've found that will change the RPM: 1) tapping the gas pedal, which sends the RPM soaring higher, and 2) turning on the air conditioning, which drops the RPM to exactly 2000.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I haven't driven the car since this started, as the high RPM makes it very tricky to get it out of my apartment building's garage.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Raybestos brake pads and rotors
Monroe Sensatrac Rear Shocks
iPhone Navigon MobileNavigator GPS
hands-free Parrot 9000mki for the iPhone
Donnelly Rear View Mirror with Temp, Compass and Map Lights

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

propinquity is offline Old Post 12-11-2009 06:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for propinquity Find more posts by propinquity Add propinquity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propinquity
Neutral

One other thing...I've been reading old forum posts, and someone mentioned they blew off a vacuum hose causing a high idle. Where would I look to check the vacuum hoses?

propinquity is offline Old Post 12-11-2009 06:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for propinquity Find more posts by propinquity Add propinquity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
08HybridOK
3rd Gear

Not sure about the older ICE only 'scapes, but I know the FEH idles high in the cold weather, and only decreases as it warms up. Just a thought.

2008 Escape Hybrid FWD
Ice Blue w/Chrome Pkg
Moonroof
Leather Premiem pkg
Mods: Mud Flaps, Cargo Cover, Keyless Pad, Tint, Side Body Molding, Hybrid badge on sides, SCIIxG
Picture Page
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer
1965 Falcon Futura I6 4 Door

08HybridOK is offline Old Post 12-11-2009 02:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 08HybridOK Visit 08HybridOK's homepage! Find more posts by 08HybridOK Add 08HybridOK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propinquity
Neutral

Thanks O8Hybrid. I checked for blown vacuum hoses by looking at just about everything under the hood. Didn't see anything. I'm beginning to suspect a bad IACV again. I replaced mine a year and a half ago, but I supposed it's possible it died on me. I'm going to order another one and keep my fingers crossed. If that's not the culprit, I suppose it could be a stuck throttle cable or the TPS. Whatever it is, I can't drive it out my garage at 2500 RPM without invoking images of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

propinquity is offline Old Post 12-11-2009 06:11 PM
DA59a
Platinum Member

quote:
Originally posted by propinquity
I'm beginning to suspect a bad IACV again. I replaced mine a year and a half ago,

Did you replace with a Motorcraft part or aftermarket?
Stick with Motorcraft!!!

2005 Escape Limited 3.0 AWD Black/Black leather - 2nd Owner ................... 1992 FXRS-Conv. Low Rider - 2nd Owner
Mod's to date:
Nokya Arctic Yellow H10 Fog lights
Osram Night Breaker H7 High beams
Lund Windjammer Spoiler (roof racks removed)
Ford Wireless Remote Keypad on drivers door
Ford Edge 18in. "take-offs" with Yokohama Avid EnVigor 255/55R18 LRR tires
Drilled/Slotted/Zinc plated rotors w/ceramic pads all 4 corners
Amsoil Synthetic Fluids all around (except Zerex G-05 coolant)
Permacool #10678 external Transmission filter with Filtermag
Amsoil BMK-13 Dual Remote "Bypass" Filter system (with Filtermag), using ASM 0W-20 Synthetic
Magnefine in-line filter on Power Steering return line
Raybestos Stabilizer links
KYB shocks and struts
AFE Air Intake #51-10031 with Pro Dry S filter
XCal2 - programmed by Torrie (87 Econ)
Magnaflow #16676 Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust

BINGO... The original Social Networking site.

Do not stop playing because you're old; you grow old because you stop playing

DA59a is offline Old Post 12-11-2009 06:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DA59a Find more posts by DA59a Add DA59a to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propinquity
Neutral

Hi DA59A,

Yes, I bought a Motorcraft replacement IACV. I just ordered a second one on Amazon. Although the thought of going a week or more until it's delivered is pretty frightening. The more I think about it, the more I might try a dealer. Even though they're robbers. But I live in LA, so maybe I can find another source and return the one I ordered from Amazon.

propinquity is offline Old Post 12-11-2009 06:24 PM
propinquity
Neutral

Just out of curiosity...has anyone had to replace their IACV more than once?

propinquity is offline Old Post 12-12-2009 05:11 AM
engr146
New Member!

Take off the 2 bolts on the Idle air control,spray w/carb choke cleaner,actually I let mine soak for 10 min .spring inside gets sticky.
My idle returned to normal 600-700 after cleaning ,after short 1min. warmup in winter.

engr146 is offline Old Post 12-14-2009 03:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for engr146 Find more posts by engr146 Add engr146 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPlee
1st Gear

My experience was with low idle caused by dirty IAC. After I cleaned the IAC the idle returned to normal. For high idle I would suspect that there may be some air leak or sticky throttle cable.

SPlee is offline Old Post 12-14-2009 06:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SPlee Find more posts by SPlee Add SPlee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propinquity
Neutral

Thanks, Splee. I replaced my IACV about a year and a half ago because the engine would sputter and die at start up. The new IACV fixed the problem. I have a feeling that my new problem--2500 RPM or higher at start up--might be due to something else, and as you and others have mentioned, it might be a vacuum leak or sticky throttle. I still have some poking around to do under the hood before I go to the next step and replace the IACV a second time (although I've ordered the part, along with a new TPS; both should be here Wednesday).

I've been researching the issue on the forums; Escaping Bob had the same issue...I replied to one of his forums hoping he'll write back. I'd like to find out if he resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Robert

propinquity is offline Old Post 12-14-2009 07:23 PM
EscapingBob
3rd Gear

Hey, I just replied to your other post - my high idle issue still exists. Also, (I read the other post first) I do periodically have the issue where the idle is extremely high when starting the vehicle - this goes away after idling for an extended period of time.
-> Does your airbag light come on when you get this problem at startup? I have a few times now. Not sure what this means.

Westin Bull Bar, Aux Fog Lights, Yakima Load Warrior Basket (lowered closer to roof) with Custom Antenna Mounts, Window Vents, Bugflector, Custom Lower Grill, Cabin Air Filter, Class III Hitch, Pioneer DEH-P5000UB with iPod/USB connection and JVC MP3 CD Changer, ICOM IC-208H (2M/440 Ant on Rack), Cobra CB (Whip & Spring on Rack)

EscapingBob is offline Old Post 12-14-2009 08:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for EscapingBob Find more posts by EscapingBob Add EscapingBob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propinquity
Neutral

Hi Escaping Bob,

I haven't seen the airbag light come on, but then again, I haven't been looking. I also haven't let the car idle for very long, because the thought of having a cold engine idle at 2000 RPM freaks me out. What I'm thinking of doing (after I've check under the engine cover) is letting it run for a bit and then try the resetting the PCM thing, whereby you let the car idle for a minute, then turn the air conditioning on for a minute (or something like that; the procedure is described in the Haines guide). The only thing is, is, after you shut off the air conditioner you're supposed to drive around for a while, and I can't do that, given the high RPM.

I'll post an update later today or tomorrow and let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Robert

propinquity is offline Old Post 12-14-2009 08:47 PM
01yellow4X4
Neutral

I don't have the same problem that you are talking about but I have noticed that all escapes idle too high after the initial start up. I freaks me out because its -28 C and starting a cold engine is bad enough in this weather never mind it immidiately reving to 2K+.

01yellow4X4 is offline Old Post 12-14-2009 09:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 01yellow4X4 Find more posts by 01yellow4X4 Add 01yellow4X4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propinquity
Neutral

Hi 01yellow4x4,

Yeah, I've read that in some of the other threads. What's weird about mine is, it doesn't come down. It starts at 2000 RPM and stays there. On the bright side, I'm in the Los Angeles area, so it's not all that cold out there. But still...being stuck at 2000 RPM isn't normal. At least, not for my car. Thanks again. I've got some poking around to do under the hood.

Robert

propinquity is offline Old Post 12-14-2009 09:22 PM