Escape-Central   
Home View your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search  
Escape-Central : Powered by Spinforums Escape-Central >
ESCAPE TRIBUTE FORUMS
> General Chat > Oil light flickers....
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wetstuff
1st Gear

Oil light flickers....

Flickers at idle. At 205,000mi .. this is the first sign of late stage, serious issues. I still have the original, 2001 exhaust .. on my second set of brakes, etc. so the truck has been very good to me.

What little direct knowledge I have about low oil pressure comes from old engines ('68 International, 1957 Furgeson tractor) where the pressure bottoms out at idle. I gather this means the clearance on the main bearings is simply too wide to hold the pressure.. maybe?

I pretty much hold to the "every 3k" oil change (it's cheap..) and only a coupla times have let it get low on the stick.. It does burn between changes .. and the tail pipe has a black ring around the edges. I'm posting in case one of you had the same symptoms.. and could share how you handled it.

I bought my wife a Volvo wagon and I have been planning on assuming her '01 ML320 anyway (100k) .. I'd keep the 'Scape in 'Snow Reserve' and as an in-house service rental. ..plus, it's the only one with a hitch. Let me know if you've dealt with the flickering light. Thanks.

Jim

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wetstuff is offline Old Post 11-23-2010 04:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wetstuff Visit wetstuff's homepage! Find more posts by wetstuff Add wetstuff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big Jim
Platinum Overdrive

you pretty much understand what is going on. The basic principles of engine design have not changed.

Before condemning the main bearings though, try changing the oil pressure sender on the slight chance that the sender is at fault.

The way to really know for sure is to take an oil pressure reading, but it is less costly to just replace the sender.

From my experience, you may still have a lot of engine life remaining even after you start to drop oil pressure at idle.

Big Jim is offline Old Post 11-23-2010 05:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Big Jim Find more posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wetstuff
1st Gear

... thanks Jim. Yaaa ..that's what I 'spct'd. Hell, it's not over 'till a rod is knocking out a 3/4 beat and throwing straight 40W out the breather! Cheers.

Jim

Last edited by wetstuff on 11-24-2010 at 08:20 PM

wetstuff is offline Old Post 11-23-2010 08:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wetstuff Visit wetstuff's homepage! Find more posts by wetstuff Add wetstuff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Platinum Member

Let us know what happens??

091106 is offline Old Post 11-24-2010 03:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 091106 Find more posts by 091106 Add 091106 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2G Sport
3rd Gear

Had this happen to me right before 160K. Had the mechanic change the oil pressure switch and the light stopped flickering. Crossing fingers for you! I am hoping to take this thing well over 200K if I can. Good to see that it is not unusual.

Everything on my '01 is original besides the IAC, DPFE (x2), and the water pump.

'03 Eclipse Spyder GTS- 101K

2G Sport is offline Old Post 12-05-2010 09:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 2G Sport Find more posts by 2G Sport Add 2G Sport to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wetstuff
1st Gear

... LIGHT's OUT. I switched from 5-20 to a syn-blend 10-40. I fully expect the engine to be worn at 200+k .. I just don't want to be reminded of it every time the engine idles.

I was thinking, I run on CC at almost every opportunity, my typical tach speed is about 1,800rpm. If I use a 38mph avg., I gather I have about 5,400hrs on it. I am very pleased with the very little maint. required to this point.

Jim

wetstuff is offline Old Post 01-03-2011 05:34 PM
wetstuff
1st Gear

... two weeks on - the flickering oil light has gone away. I'll be sticking with 10-40, 'till I need straight 40W.

Jim

wetstuff is offline Old Post 01-14-2011 05:55 PM
aspitaletto
Platinum Member

great to hear !

-15.915s@87.28mph
2001 Escape FWD XLT
-K&N Drop-in
-16.49@85.21mph

_________

aspitaletto is offline Old Post 01-14-2011 06:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for aspitaletto Find more posts by aspitaletto Add aspitaletto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wetstuff
1st Gear

Ooooops! Spoke too soon. 'Flicker-Flicker'..

I have an oil leak anyway, so maybe I'll have the OPS done at the same time.

Jim

wetstuff is offline Old Post 01-17-2011 08:14 PM
robgib
1st Gear

I've had the flicker for a couple of years now (2001 V6 XLt 4x4) Have replaced the sender to no avail. I have about 132,+ on mine and am just not worrying about it anymore, the car runs great and doesn't burn any 5-20 oil. If anybody has a solution though I'd love to hear it.
Rob

robgib is offline Old Post 01-18-2011 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for robgib Find more posts by robgib Add robgib to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wetstuff
1st Gear

Thanks Rob - I'll follow your lead. I can live with the smell..and save the $$.

Jim

wetstuff is offline Old Post 01-19-2011 06:41 PM